DEPD 2202.3 Soft skills for Professional Development
Main objective of the course unit
This course is designed to improve the ability of students to describe their accomplishments and sell their ideas in situations like professional networking, company meetings, response to proposals for services, and interviews. It teaches writing skills and workplace integration for new jobs. Emphasis is put on verbal communication and preparation for verbal communication. Students will learn to create career plans that require them to research career options and potential employers and prepare a developmental roadmap that will lead them success within the chosen profession.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) of the course unit
Students completing the course should be able to:
- Communicate effectively and professionally in business situations through writing, speaking, and listening.
- Construct a career development plan (roadmap) that outlines a path to a chosen career by delineating the skills required for the type of job, recognising individual skill strengths and gaps, and identify activities that can be used to acquire the skills associated with the gaps.
- Explain the value of networking strategies relevant to professional development; apply networking strategies to demonstrate effective networking conversations and written communications.
- Demonstrate the skills needed to create format and tailor a professional resume.
- Demonstrate understanding of behavioural interview process by preparing interview questions and participating in practice interviews.
- Perform research on companies identifying major products and markets, size, and growth potential within the industry.
- Understand how to get a successful start in a job by demonstrating awareness of behavioural norms within a business in relationship to communication, appearance, business etiquette, and day-to-day business functions.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 1 Semester
- Skill level 2nd Year
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes